Pattern review on McCall's 7547




I made the McCalls's 7547 in a size 10. I chose to make the Overall with the peg leg. It was a fairly easy sew, though the cutting process did take some time. There are quite a few pieces. Nevertheless it came together nicely and the instructions were clear and helpful.


A post shared by @breakfastatsammys on

I toiled a leg first, and that fit fine, so I was confident to proceed cutting into the 'real' fabric. So far I have never made a complete toile for a a garment and I honestly think that it is rarely needed. For example - making a fit and flare dress, really only a toile of the fitted bodice is needed. If I make a jumpsuit (or overalls in this case) I only toile a leg, as I know this might be a issue for me. Making up only one leg ist also sufficient for me. I save time and fabric this way.

For fabric I used a black corduroy with a little elastane. A little stretchiness is definitely needed, it would be very uncomfortable otherwise. Even though, I do feel the straps could be a teeny bit longer.

But all in all I am happy with this make and have also already worn it.

A post shared by @breakfastatsammys on

When the inspiration to make overalls struck me, I also deliberated wether to wait for the new Tilly and the Buttons pattern. She had teased that it would be overalls in an Instagram post a few weeks prior to releasing her 'Mila' overalls pattern. I am happy that I decided to make the M7547 instead. I like that they are high waisted, which is a must for me. The 'Mila' sits on the hips and closes with jeans buttons. I am afraid that would accentuate my hips and so just be much less flattering than the M7547.

☝ Will I make it again? I don't think I will need two pairs of overalls.  Though I think I will make a pair of pants from this patten. They just fit so well on the leg and sit so nicely in the natural waist ❤


EDIT: I did make new straps! The constant risk of a wedgie was just too much for me, ha ha ha! Either I had cut the straps too short/made a mistake when tracing the pattern (but I don't think so...), or my torso is a little longer than the pattern anticipates. Or maybe it is also supposed to be this snug.... However, as I have never had issues with the length of my torso before, I would recommend to anyone to just lengthen the straps by a few centimetres/inches. You can always just cut them shorting when fitting.

Kommentare